Here at 'Prime Pups' we believe early learning is all about the right partnership and understanding from the very beginning between owner and pup. We maintain that a holistic approach is necessary for the development of any puppy, using positive reinforcement to establish a happy lifelong relationship for your dog as part of your family. This program offers you the opportunity to ensure you and your puppy have the best understanding and skills for life through our unique in home training approach with other puppy owners in your community and the teaching support of experienced dog trainers.
With this unique foundation course we aim to provide a supporting network between each group and build lifelong friendships!
It is our opinion that many current puppy preschool courses, whilst good, do not maximise the opportunities for more varied experiences as your puppy develops through their most important stages of life. Our program focus' on expanding your knowledge and ability to socialise and train your puppy through our unique sessions based in many different homes and locations. The very essence of good socialising and manners is 'acceptance' so the more we do the better the results. We also understand that you may not have access to positively introduce your puppy to, for example other appropriate dogs, children or people of different ages.
This course leads nicely on to our Companion Dog Training Course which is the next step in training your dog.
EARLY Puppy Preschool - suitable for puppies 8wks-16wks
Puppies attending Early Puppy Preschool need to have had their first vaccines but do not need to be fully vaccinated to attend as the locations we use are private and safe.
PUPPY Preschool - suitable for pups 16wks-24wks - developing their skills further and building up the level of distraction.
Puppies attending this program need to be fully vaccinated as we run the classes in a range of private and public spaces.
These foundation courses cover;
- Preparing for the pups arrival
- Successful car travel
- Establishing a routine
- Conquering house training
- Building time apart positively
- Building motivation, focus and obedience through play and training games
- Understanding how to train your pup and the importance of timing
- Controlling instincts and frustration
- Preventing over-stimulation and mouthing
- Positive interactions with strangers and visitors
- Encouraging a positive recall
- Encouraging cooperative handling and grooming
- Understanding dog to dog interaction
- Positive interaction with adult dogs
- Social and environmental acceptance to build resilience
- Positive interactions with all ages of people
- Lead introduction and loose lead training
Equipment you need to have:
Secure collar and lead
We also recommend having a travel crate for safe transport to and from locations or if your dog is a little timid or nervous.
Each week the location of the class will change depending on who is available to host or which public venues are available in the Tauranga and surrounding areas. The sessions may be rotated between the homes of those on the program, along with a selection of 'out of home' safe locations for added experiences, potentially including a rural experience, exposure to adult mentor dogs, exposure to other animals, a cafe experience. As a result it is good if you are willing to potentially accommodate other participants on the program at your home for a session if you have a room/garage/garden of suitable size. This will be discussed with you upon booking. Otherwise alternative arrangements will be made. We aim to group people in to areas if possible to limit your travel distance/time, although it can be a good opportunity to get your puppy used to car travel.
JAN & FEBRUARY INTAKE NOW OPEN:
Early Puppy Preschool (8wks-16wks of age):
- Wednesday evenings 6:30pm-7:30pm - Starts Wednesday 17th February - Tauranga/Mt Maunganui/Papamoa
- Saturday mornings 9am-10am - starts Saturday 20th February - Te Puna/Omokoroa/Whakamarama/Katikati
- Saturday afternoons 4pm-5pm - starts Saturday 20th February - Tauranga and surrounds
Puppy Preschool (16wks-24wks of age):
- Tuesday evenings 6:30pm-7:30pm - starts Tuesday 16th February - Te Puna/Omokoroa/Whakamarama/Katikati
- Wednesday mornings 9am-10am - starts Wednesday 17th February - Tauranga/Mt Maunganui/Papamoa
- Saturday afternoons - 2pm-3pm - starts Saturday 20th February - Tauranga and surrounds
8 week course - $280
+ 2 free online classes before the start of your program
+ FREE puppy raising and training online resources
+ FREE membership to our Prime Pup Pals Social Group
+ FREE social walks
Limited spaces as small group sizes only
PLEASE NOTE: to secure your place on a program payment must be made within 48 hours of your puppy's registration.